F How to Deal with Not Feeling Good Enough - My Local Adventures Blog

How to Deal with Not Feeling Good Enough

I have been going through the fear of failure and this happens to me especially when I'm starting something new.

This post doesn't only apply to blogging but in anything you feel not good enough at. I used this example because that's where I actually experienced the feeling the most in my life.

 

How to Deal with Not Feeling Good Enough


Why don't I feel good enough?


I feared being laughed at or made a mockery of if I fail at the things I planned to do.

To heal my fear I started searching for confidence-building content to read, watch and listen to and I found a few good ones. All of them had a common message: "Stop comparing yourself to others".

When I took the time to think about it, it actually rang a bell. The more I thought about it, the more I realised that that's where my problem is coming from.

When you compare yourself to others, all you can see are your faults and this can be intimidating.

A False Standard


I am someone who does a lot of research when I'm starting something new! Like this blog. When I started, I knew nothing about blogging and all I wanted to do was "write on the internet". I didn't even know that it was called blogging. lol

I did lots of research and managed to find my way. I learned a lot from different blogs and used their experiences to make my blog better. 

I discovered really nice blogs with a great social media presence. Their layouts, content and photos are close to perfect and I said to myself "this is how I want my blog to be" "This is the feeling I want my readers to have when they open my blog".

Then I started striving to make my blog as cool as theirs, I want my social media photos to be as nice and professional as well, which is a good thing! And I worked towards that day and night! My blog changed, even became better. But it was not still as good as the other blogs I saw (because I discovered better ones every day, lol). 

That is when I started feeling not good enough. Because I had created a "vision" of what a good blog should be or look like. And that standard had become the other cute blogs I saw. I didn't also think that my blog was cute too. 

I forgot to use my own creative mind and apply my own skills to make my blog mine, and create my own standard. It was all about getting what I saw and what I thought it should be and not doing my own thing which actually will make me stand out and could be the ideal blog for another person.

So I said enough is enough! I'm doing me!

I am enough!


I got to a point where I was overwhelmed with trying to "meet the standard" and I decided to be myself. To do me. To do things as I please. And to say it's ok to not meet the standard!  

I decided to use the information I got from others and apply it in my own way or personalise it to suit my own vision and desires for my blog. I manage my blog in a way that I think is best for me and not how I see everyone doing it. I have started doing that with social media, and I'm feeling more comfortable with it.

I have dug deep into my creativity and started producing content for my blog and social media accounts which reflects my personality and my way.

How I did it!


So when I got fed up with trying to be good enough (according to other people's standards), I decided to do a few things to regain myself and my creative mind.

1. Used the unfollow button


I sorted out the intimidating blogs and social media accounts and I unfollowed them. Sorry if you are one of those I unfollowed, it's not a bad thing, well it means that you are good though! lol

I use to follow all the blogs that inspired me and for sure each day they really inspired me with good stuff! But later I was getting too much information at the same time and I even had no time to implement the things I got and it began to intimidate me. So I decided to unfollow and unsubscribe from their email list/social media and it felt good.

I stayed away from intimidating sites.


This helped me to grow by doing and developing my own thing and gaining confidence in my own work and creativity.

I had fewer emails to read every day and I spent more time working on myself and developing my own content instead of gathering more information that may not be put to use but will only make me feel not good enough.

When my confidence grew, I started to visit some of the blogs I unfollowed and then I realised how much I had grown, (yes I still compared myself to them lol) but I didn't feel as intimidated again.

This even opens me up to new inspiring content when I decided to start searching for new information and has helped me developed my blog in many other good ways.

Lesson 1


So it's OK to stay away from someone or something that intimidates you if it is really killing your creativity and willpower. It's not being weak. It's rather retreating to find your inner strength and work better with your competition.

Even if you are intimidated by your friends, it helps to take two steps back and work on yourself. It's hard to move forward when we constantly compare ourselves to others so take away the distraction and focus! You don't need to know everything about their lives on social media so feel free to unfollow them (at least for a while) if it makes you feel better.

There is strength in acknowledging your weakness and working on it!

2. I dreamt again!


I went back to 'how I wanted my blog to be', 'what kind of content I had dreamt of having on my blog', 'what type of interaction I wanted' and 'the kind of atmosphere I wanted for my blog'. And I worked towards obtaining it. This also required research but I tried to make it suit what I wanted to do so that it fits in. 

It was then I realised that I had copied some things that were not very necessary for my way of blogging so I had to get rid of them. 

Lesson 2


It's always important to go back to the why question. 


- Why am I blogging, designing, creating or manufacturing? Why is my purpose of living? Why am I doing this?

This will give you the right focus, vision and direction you should be following and any information you get will have to fit into that vision or should not be considered.

- What kind of person do I want to be?
Find the person you want to be, what you want people to know you for as a person and/or your business (your brand) and work towards it.

Find who you are and who you really want to be and go for it!

Bonus tip* Take things slow. Go easy on yourself. We battle with not feeling good enough every day and in various aspects of our lives and it is a constant fight. There will always be someone better than you (taller, slimmer, happier, richer and more professional than you) and you can't spend the rest of your life striving to be like others. That's so sad. You need to live your life and be you. So don't be hard on yourself and do your own thing your own way! That's how you make a difference.


I hope you learned from my experience and also please share your experience with me in your comment so that other people and I can learn from you too.

CONVERSATION

32 Comments:

  1. Very informative post. If anyone who is blogging, building a brand, business etc and who has read this post says they havent experienced what you have, then they are lying! We've all been there. Like you when I started I had already been following tons fo blogs for a few years. I started thehotjem.com with a clear vision but it changed slightly over time as I was striving to be like others. Luckily for me when I started blogging and getting my blog out there, there were a few in my niche from Cameroon so I didnt feel overwhelmed as there werent people to really look up to. This helped me to create my own identity early on and put myself out there before other upcoming bloggers came up.

    I like you have transitioned, evolved and then had to go back to basics to see why I initially started my blog and its then that I was at peace with myself because I knew what I wanted to, where I wanted to go and what I needed to do to get there and focus daily on that. So i dont get distracted nor do I get over whelmed by other blogs etc as I am confident in my abilities adn glad to see that you are too.

    BTW glad to see you're following me still which must mean that I'm not a "good blog" hahahahahaha :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahahahaha! Of course you are great darling!
      Thanks for sharing your experience and it's so nice of you to leave your mark here
      :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this article! I have always been hard on myself and I know what it means to feel like you are not good enough. If 100 people told me I was amazing and one said I was rubbish, I would trust that one. And even if there was noone negative and hateful around me, I'd just feel that everyone is pretending they like what I do or so... I guess that that's also how I ended up taking antidepressives and going to the psychiatrist... Im learning to think differently and not to take everything personally at the moment... I really appretiate your post, thank you!

    Diana from CzechSouls.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so touched by your comment Diana
      This is why I shared my experience. To help others going through the same thing as me know that they are not alone.
      I'm so glad it helped you dearie.
      :)

      Delete
  3. I love your idea of the unfollow. I have recently done a bit of a clean up of the FB groups that I am a part of because it can be easy to compare yourself to others or hear negative comments from others, but the only person we should be listening to in terms of how we feel about ourselves or our blog is ourselves. Great article, thank you for the reminder that it's okay to do your own thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent and totally relatable post! We've all been there, whether or not we're always willing to admit it. One tip, you reference some older posts without linking them so I'd recommend either being more direct about the prior post or linking to it. Specifically, you mention a post you did last Sunday, but since it was my first time here I didn't know what you were talking about. Your post was so great I wanted to check it out but didn't know where to look. Great work though, I truly appreciate your honesty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your feedback
      I will definitely link the posts I referred to
      Thanks

      Delete
  5. Thumbs up to you on this, very enlightening and thought provoking. We've all been there and still struggling, great tips and advice. Thanks. Just subscribed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post!This is advice we can all use. We are often harder on ourselves and hold back because of fear. Find what works for you and go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am enough! I often have to remind myself of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah
      It helps to remind ourselves often that we are enough!

      Delete
  8. I like your style and writing, nice made, thank you for writing for us, cheers Dieter

    The Digital Marketing Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unfollowing is a good idea! I find like you, sometimes its an overwhelming feeling of trying to implement all the information that you're taking in and it ends up being more detrimental than helpful. This was a great article! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Tips!!! I needed to read this today!! Unfollowing is a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don’t know how should I give you thanks! I am totally stunned by your article. You saved my time. Thanks a million for sharing this article.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this post! i think i'm currently in this phase and honestly this post has given me ideas on exactly what to do as well. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved it! I also learned to use teh Unfollow button! Thank you for your great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved reading this. Sometimes it's perfectly OKAY to shut down from all the noise around the internet. I'm on the verge of doing this very thing. It can be easy to get lost in the shuffle, and shut out your own voice because of all the noise around. Thank you for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Tatanisha
      Indeed there is so much noise around and you can't hear your own voice
      Thanks for commenting dear

      Delete
  15. Wow this was a gut check. Thanks so much for these tips.

    ReplyDelete