F How to Re-boost your Motivation as an Entrepreneur - My Local Adventures Blog

How to Re-boost your Motivation as an Entrepreneur

Recently, I was dealing with not being motivated to do anything for my business. It's a very bad place to be in and it may make you want to give up everything you have worked so hard for. 

I decided to do a post on how I went through my lack of motivation which went on for almost a year! Yeah, that long. In this post, I am also sharing tips on how I got out of it and bounced back again.

How to Re-boost your Motivation as an Entrepreneur

The 'lack of motivation' syndrome


Let's describe how it feels to not be motivated by your business.

You wake up in the morning and you know what you should be doing but you don't want to do it. That's just the basic feeling when you lack motivation. Then you feel drained of energy even before you start a task. Also, you are discouraged and ask yourself what's the point everytime you are working on a project. Honestly, I felt so much better not thinking of my business at the time because of the guilt I had for not making any efforts in that domain of my life. 

I used to be extremely motivated and managed to get things done no matter what in the past. And later it was the total contrary. 

My lack of motivation scared me. Yes, it did! I thought it was never going to end, considering how long it lasted. But it's back now and I feel as charged as I used to be to achieve my business goals!

The Cure


So moments like these should not scare you that much or get you to think that you can't make it. It's a phase of your entrepreneur life and you will experience many of them, just that the intensity will vary.

My lack of motivation was severe as I went for almost a year without producing nor planning for my business. Aside the fact that I was a student and school was taking my time, I didn't feel motivated anymore. All I did was to wish for things to happen or wish to be motivated once more.

And yes I lost customers. You know that is the thing with being a sole proprietor. Everything depends on you and everything you do affects your business (reminds me of my secondary school economics lessons on the advantages and disadvantages of sole proprietorship).

When my motivation came back, it was like starting afresh. That was not so long ago. I'm now working on getting new customers and building my brand again.

I have had other periods when I lacked motivation recently and this has been mostly because of the discouragement from not having desired results after putting in so much effort.

Here are my tips to deal with a lack of motivation as an entrepreneur.

1. It's OK to feel discouraged.

If you feel discouraged and not motivated, it's OK! You can't be motivated all the time. You are human to feel bad when things don't work out as you want or expected. So accept your present mood and remember that you are just being human. 

2. Take a break.

Give yourself a break. It's a break to not think about your projects for even just a day. Don't try to force things or you may keep getting more discouraged and disappointed since you are not putting in your best and you can't think more objectively.

3. Find out the problem

You could no longer be motivated because you overworked yourself like in my case. It could also be because you don't feel skilful enough to do things. You may also lack motivation because you are afraid of not doing things right or not being able to meet expectations. It could also be a lack of support from friends and family or negativity from your customers in relation to your goods or services. 

You need to find out the source of your discouragement to know how to deal with it.

4. Adress the problem

Face the reason why you lack motivation. 

- If they are negative customers accept the critics that are true and decide to work on them. 

- If it's lack of support from family and friends then talk to them and ask for their support or give them a reason to support you by working even harder to achieve your dreams. 

- If you don't feel skilful enough then start researching and learning. You can also find someone more experienced to help out with what you can't do. Remember that you can't know and do everything.

- If you are discouraged as a result of overworking yourself, a break will be nice for starters. You can try to take a short holiday so that your mind relaxes as well. 

5. Consume motivating content

Read, watch and listen to motivational write-ups, videos and speeches. This will do you a lot of good. There is nothing more comforting than to know that our case is not different and someone else is or has been through what we are experiencing. You may find someone who's wording will uplift your spirit and your desire and motivation will start building up once more. So feed yourself with positivity. As much as you can get.

6. Self-motivation talk

Talk to yourself and face your fears that have discouraged you. Tell your lack or motivation self that you are only going through a phase that will soon be over. Also, tell yourself that you can get back to how motivated you used to be because you are working towards it.

7. Take steps to go back to work

Talk is good but it still doesn't get things done. You need to make little plans and enjoy the feeling of accomplishing little tasks. 

Take baby steps towards working on your business again. Take it slow and don't pressure yourself. I hope you get your motivation back soonest.

CONVERSATION

22 Comments:

  1. Great post Ngum,

    So funny I actually just wrote a similar post this week too, "When You Just Don't Feel Like It," which was all about getting to the bottom of whatever your problem was. You have some great suggestions here.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Nadalie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadalie.
      Wow what a coincidence that we talked about the same thing this week!!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this. I've struggled with this and it's amplified more by mental health issues. When I can barely get up and get dressed or eat, my business is LAST on my list. This has sent me backwards more times than I care to count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped Kathleen
      I hope your business energy returns soonest
      Thank you for reading my dear

      Delete
  3. For me it's not lack of motivation but burn out from trying to do to much. I need to learn how to focus and not have so many irons in the fire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I definitely take a break and/or look for inspiration somewhere when I'm not feeling motivated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes we have to go find inspiration somewhere
      Thanks Joanna!

      Delete
  5. Your tips are perfect. When I get down I definitely work on doing one thing at a time until I am back to my optimal level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kita
      Indeed doing one thing at a time is great and boosts your motivation again

      Delete
  6. I love watching Oprah and Barbara Corcoran videos on Youtube when I feel like I am having a hard time. They keep me motivated and let me know that it is okay to fall down as long as you get back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, I should check out their videos too!
      Thanks for sharing Eva!

      Delete
    2. Sometimes I need to step away and reflect. This life can be draining.

      Delete
    3. Life can really be draining and stepping away to reflect is all you need in moments like this. Thanks Joanae!

      Delete
  7. This is so essential because often we don't share when we are discouraged in business. Thank you for cleaning out my closet, lol. I will re-read this again and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Thanks Laquisha! Indeed we prefer to highlight the high and not the lows. My aim of sharing this is to help others to feel that they are not alone in what they are facing. I'm glad you were touched by this.

      Delete
  8. Great post. I think so many people feel this way or hit a slump and personally, I know I get burned out from doing sooooo much! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Donna
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  9. Very informative. I have been trying to start a tech business but most of the time I freak and back out and end up using the capital for other things. After this, I will most definitely start over...easy does it. Thank you for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I treid to start my own buisness once but it failed :( There were too much people with similar companies, that it was to hard to make good advert and be seen by people. I had to suspend my business :(
    Maybe one day, when I'll have enough money I'll start again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do My dear
      It's such a great experience

      Delete