F How to Eliminate Negative Self-talk - My Local Adventures Blog

How to Eliminate Negative Self-talk

Most times it's not planned and I find myself in the middle of some negative talk to myself. This made me realise that I was my own naysayer. Most of us do this without even knowing. 

It's easier to say "I can't do this" than to say "I can do this" because we have gotten used to saying that to ourselves when we are alone. 

I tend to think more about how I'll suck at something and tell myself I'm not good enough rather than reminding myself of how amazing I am at this or that!

How to Eliminate Negative Self-talk

The Effects of Negative Self-Talk

The point is when you do negative self-talk, it's easy to believe it and start acting on it.

While you are alone, you tell yourself you are not good enough in the first place so you will appear "not good enough" in what you are trying to do. You self-talk yourself to believe you can't do it, that you can't make it, that you can't be the best no matter what and your body is now acting on your words!

This is one aspect I realised recently I was doing to myself and it has been killing my motivation. So I'm trying to work on it!

Be Your Own Cheerleader!


If you've also been talking negatively to yourself please stop it!

Tell yourself nice things. Positive things! Encouraging words! Loving words.

First,
 believe you have the ability to do the things you want to do. Think of yourself as qualified and good enough as a candidate, as an entrepreneur, as an employee and let your body act on those positive thoughts.

Secondly,
 find some good mantras that fit with what you want to feel positive about.

Thirdly,
if you can't seem to fight the negative self-talk, play some music, watch motivation videos and even audio during your alone time. 

Fourthly,

Call a mentor, friend, family or someone who believes in you! It will be great to have someone else remind you of how good you are especially if it's somebody you have a lot of respect for (I rely so much on that).

So I hope you will take this challenge to eliminate negative self-talk with me and let's always stay positive!


CONVERSATION

42 Comments:

  1. i need to stop being so hard on myself. thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great tips! Stay positive!
    -Alexandria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, you could have been talking about me! I can shut myself away for a week without any trouble. I pull out the phone and don't go out and see anyone. I am soooo good at that! I do sometimes slate myself and give myself a really hard time, but I am also very good at getting myself out of that and being very positive. Great post, thanks!

    Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Mandy
      You should be an introvert like me
      Thanks for reading sweety

      Delete
  4. I love these tips! I write a lot about self-care, even though it's something I struggle with a lot. Or maybe I write about it BECAUSE I struggle. These are wonderful tips. I especially love the one about calling in a mentor or friend for support. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome my dear
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. My favorite hing to say to myself is "You're doing SO good." Positive self-talk has definitely changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, positive talk works magic on self confidence

      Delete
  6. I always say,"I will try" instead of "I can't." Little changes make a big impact.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I super agree! Negativity is a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I needed This! I've been trying to practice self care. This post was needed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great blog post. We need to stop being so hard on ourselves. I think as women especially we are very critical of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such an important and powerful message. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great article, I read one quote by Amy Poehler that transformed the way I talk to myself "if you think a negative thought about yourself, ask 'would you say this to your best friend', if the answer is 'no' then don't say it to yourself"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Claire
      What you shared is quite helpful too
      Thanks dearie!

      Delete
  12. Yes! As soon as it starts to creep in- nip it in the bud!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these tips! I am definitely terrible at negative self talk and it just adds to my anxiety. Thanks for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm an intovert as well and some are shocked by how much time I spend a alone. I'm most productive that way and enjoy spending time with myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to this
      I am very productive when I'm alone too

      Delete
  15. Thanks for the reminder! I will definitely share this too.

    jane
    www.thismamablogs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome dear. Thank you for sharing too!

      Delete
  16. We all come to this at a point in our life. I use God's Word in those times.

    Love your tips. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Uplifting article thanks for the pointers it worth to be tried thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, it's really big challenge to stop talking bad to myself :( I heard some time ago, that we can hurt ourselves more than other people hurt us. And it's true, sometimes I feel really bad with myself, I feel, like I would be the biggest enemy to myself. I don't know how to deal with it, it's really hard, even if I listen cheerful music... I tried to talk to myself very often, that I'm good with it, I'm pretty, I'm smart etc, but it doesn't work. Maybe because I don't fully believe in it :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear this my dear. I have been there you know and at times I still fell that way.
      You may not believe your own words Olka but don't stop saying it to yourself. It takes time. Don't beat yourself if you don't believe your words yet. Just keep saying them till you believe it. Thanks for sharing sweetie

      Delete
  19. Great read. I'm an introvert as well and love my solitude. However, self-doubt does creep in during some of those isolated moments. Great advice on talking with someone who believes in you. That's my go-to solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I do use that a lot too Jeche
      Sometimes negative self-talk happens before you realise it and you need someone to encourage you.

      Delete