F 6 Ways To Care For Your Breasts While Breastfeeding - My Local Adventures Blog

6 Ways To Care For Your Breasts While Breastfeeding

One of the things that made me worry when I started breastfeeding was that I could transfer germs to my baby while she fed. Yes, germs! I just wanted to make sure that my breasts were doing no harm but only good to my baby.

But most of all why I care for my breasts during breastfeeding is that my breasts are going through a lot of stretching and shrinking because of the production of milk. This made me think that my breast needs some special reward (pampering) for the great job they are doing. They also need some special care to maintain their elasticity (they will age eventually just like the rest of our body, so don't let the thought of having saggy breasts bother you, mama). That's why I give extra care to my breast as a breastfeeding mom and I want to share with you how I do it.

How to care for your breasts as a breastfeeding mom


How to care for your breasts as a breastfeeding mom

Wash / clean your breasts


This involves the use of simple soap and water more than once a day to wash your breasts. I often take a bath twice a day and on days when I do take a bath just once, I use a wet towel to clean my breasts. You can clean your breasts 2 - 3 times a day especially if you have leaks.

Oil your nipples


Another way to care for your breasts is to oil your nipples. Now you have to be careful about the type of oil you use and its source. Don't use your body lotions or creams on your nipples while you breastfeed. It may be harmful to your baby. The best oils for your breasts are natural oils like olive oil and coconut oil. You may use palm kernel oil as well but make sure that they are of good quality and hygienic.

Oiling your nipples soothes them after the baby sucks on them and helps them to appear less dry. Apply the oil after the baby has fed before wearing your bra. Oiling your nipple also prevents your nipples from sticking to the bra especially when it leaks.

Massage your breasts


A gentle breast massage is good for your breasts during breastfeeding to maintain its elasticity, reduce stretch marks and make your breasts more good-looking and healthy.

The massage must be gentle especially as you are breastfeeding. Use a natural oil like olive, coconut and palm kernel oil. Here is how to do a breast massage:

- Apply some oil on your hands and breasts.

- Place one palm on top of your breasts just at the level of your armpit and the other hand under the breast.

- Begin to rub the skin in a circular motion at the same time. Do this very gently as your breasts are more fragile during breastfeeding.

You can also do this massage while you take a shower or your bath with just your soapy hands. The most important thing is that you have a lubricant for this. You can also do it after your shower while you moisturize - but use a natural oil and not your normal body lotion or cream.

Oil your breasts often


Just like the points mentioned above oiling your breasts is a great way to care for them. And I won't stop stressing the fact that you need to use a natural oil.

Wear a comfortable and firm bra


You don't need a tight bra. It just has to be firm enough to keep them in a good position and that allows you to breastfeed easily.

Don't use chemical products and treatments on your breasts.


Avoid breast enlarging a,d firming creams or products made from ingredients you don't know. You don't know how it is harming your baby. I avoided using body lotions on my breasts for fear that my baby would ingest it.

These are the measures I take personally to care for my breasts as a breastfeeding mom. Breast care is really important and should be taken seriously because breast milk is the best food for babies so your breasts need all the care they can get. Pamper your breasts and give it the best.

CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Post a Comment