F How To Fry Puff-Puff At Home - My Local Adventures Blog

How To Fry Puff-Puff At Home

Puff-puff is a very important food in Cameroon. It is eaten mostly as breakfast or as supper. You can buy any quantity you want around most junctions and roundabouts in the country. It is often referred to as 'le Sauveur' meaning 'the saviour' in English. This is because it is cheap and also a complete meal when accompanied by beans and pap. It' s the most common take out and everyone relies on it when they need to eat well but don't have enough money or when they are just not in the mood to cook anything.

I made some puff-puff while at my mom's and I thought I should share the recipe with you guys. Here we go.

Like most of my recipe posts, we are not used to measurements in Cameroon and Africa in general. We estimate. Your ability to estimate is your power as a cook. Don't be surprised or wonder why I don't or hardly mention measurements in my recipes.

How To Fry Puff-Puff At Home


good looking puff-puff, golden brown puff-puff


Ingredients


- Flour

- Yeast

- Sugar

- Water

- Oil for frying

Preparation


- Sieve the flour into a bowl. Make sure you use a bowl with a lid because you will have to cover it.

- Add some sugar, yeast and lukewarm water and mix. Let the mixture be quite thick and heavy. If you make it watery, it will soak up oil while frying. The best way is to add water in small quantities as you mix so that when you reach the desired texture you can stop adding water.

yeast, puff-puff
Yeast.

- Leave the mixture to rise. To be honest, I don't check the time when I allow it to rise. I just check my mixture from time to time to see if it has risen enough. If it is taking a long time to rise then the yeast might not be enough. That was the case when I was making this one. I had to add some more yeast by dissolving it in a little water, added it to the dough and mixed it again.

puff-puff dough, mixture

- When the mixture rises, put a good quantity of oil into a pot for deep frying. When the oil is quite hot, start putting the mixture into the oil in lumps. I can't describe how to make the lumps but the photos I made below can help you understand how to do it. You may not get it right on the first try but with some practice, you will learn how to do it.

puff-puff

puff-puff

puff-puff frying

puff-puff

frying puff-puff

- Fry both side of the puff-puff till brown. I love mine quite brown because I'm sure that it's quite ready and it is a little bit crunchy on the outside.

frying puff-puff, pot, deep frying

- Remove when ready and put in a strainer for the oil to drip and serve hot.

crunchy puff-puff, how does puff-puff look like inside

puff-puff, pap, akamu, eat pap, drink pap

We had our puff-puff with pap and it was really delicious.

CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Post a Comment