F A Day In The Life Of A Cameroonian Job Seeking Mom - My Local Adventures Blog

A Day In The Life Of A Cameroonian Job Seeking Mom

I know the title says a day but this post actually discusses a series of days when I went out seeking a job.

When I wrote this post on whether to work 9-5 or 24 hours. My mind was divided between being an employee and just having my own business. An employee doesn't have to worry about the risk of setting up a business while an entrepreneur can be flexible with his work hours.

These facts have had me think and rethink about getting a job.

Things you must note here are:


- You may not make sales or profit at the start of your business,

- You need to 'survive' while building a business, and

- It takes time for a business to grow.

These factors made me consider being an employee for a while - that is until the business is doing very well. I also secretly desire to have a good NGO Job in Cameroon so it motivates me to take a step toward being an employee.

That's why from time to time I do some job hunting. I often use these sites I shared in this post (click here) to find a job. But the job I went for this time around was sent to me by a friend.

How it went down...


The requirements for the job were quite simple. There was only one document that needed to be certified. Honestly, I detest when the initial documents requested requires that you certify documents. It makes you spend money when you are not yet sure you will be called for an interview.


The certification had to be done at my university (it was a success attestation that's why) and it took me three days to do so. First, I had to deposit the documents then I only collected it on the second day after deposition. But I went there on all three days. Click here to find out how to certify your documents at the University of Yaoundé 1. It took me three days but I was glad I finally had it done.

Waiting for the certification office to open so that I collect my documents

Returning home tired & disappointed because I couldn't collect my certified documents that day

OOTD  -  Outfit of the day on day three. I finally took my documents and deposited that day

Stepping out

My file and baby essentials comfortably fit in my bag made by my brand @ngumabi

I finally deposited for the job after I collected the certified documents. I met others who came to deposit as well as those who came after me. Who knows how many more came after I did and the number that has been deposited before? That's when it occurred to me that I had to go back home and start to pray that I am chosen among the many candidates that are also soliciting this position. That's Cameroon for you. A job which requires ten people will end up receiving a thousand applications. I wonder how those who are part of the human resource department usually proceed in such cases.



Anyway, what's important is that I have done my part. It wasn't a difficult task but it was not easy for me because I was with my baby throughout the process. From writing the application at home, working on my CV, certifying my documents and depositing them. It was not easy carrying her around. I went to the certification office three times as I mentioned and each time I thought of going there I felt so tired before I would go. But I had to go there and I eventually succeeded in everything I planned to do for the day. The second day I went there, I was to collect my documents but the office was locked though it was the said time for people to collect their certified documents. I went back and it was only the next day that I could collect them. At that time it was left just two days to the deadline for the job offer.

Why I am writing this story...


The main reason I am sharing my experience is to encourage not only young mothers but also anyone who feels like they have something standing in the way of them pursuing something. If you really want it then do it. Push past the obstacle and show that you are ready to get what you want. I have let motherhood and even before motherhood, I let my timidity and fears bring me down. But now, I carry them along with me to pursue my dreams and get what I want from life.


When you do this, you will get used to not letting things get in your way and you will adapt. Soon the things standing in your way will no longer be a problem. If you are waiting for these things to make way before you start doing what you want to do then they may never give way. There will always be many reasons to not do something but choose to pursue your dreams for just one valid reason. One reason is all you need.

How it impacted me.


After this experience, I feel so gingered and motivated to do many things and this energy has spread even to my business and school project which I am planning to finish this month.


As I continue my job search I am working on my business. It has been a rough ride so far but the one thing I keep hearing from the voice in my head is to KEEP PUSHING. And that's exactly what I am doing.


Thanks for reading this post till the end. I hope you liked it and feel encouraged. Leave me a comment in the comment section below and just share with me what obstacles you are facing in life and let's have a chat about it.

CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Post a Comment