F Working 9/5 or 24/7 ? - My Local Adventures Blog

Working 9/5 or 24/7 ?

I saw a post on Pinterest that reminded me of a conversation I once had with a friend. During our conversation, I told him that I don't want to work for someone else because I don't want to leave my child in the care of another person. My baby had just turned four months old. The thought of leaving her to go out and work was unbearable. I have never gone a day without her since she was born. I wasn't ready to experience that either.

I have always wanted to work for myself. Own my own business and spend more time with my family. That's why I started a business while in the university hoping it will grow big enough to take care of me by the time I complete. I also got into blogging some years ago out of passion. Then I started making efforts to monetize my blog which I am currently doing so with Adsense. While these methods are slow in providing an income for me, they are not yet stable as well.

As time goes on, I'm considering having a 9/5 job with some organization. I've realized it takes more time and hard work to make an income from a business that is able to sustain my lifestyle and needs. My fear is that nine-to-fives can be very demanding and the time spent on your own hustle becomes very little. I really want to succeed in business and that's my priority. But a girl needs to survive and live well and that requires that money be made now. 

In this post, I want to share with you guys my point of view on: Why I prefer owning my own business to being an employee and also why I will consider being an employee though all I want is to be my own boss.


Working 9/5 or 24/7 ?


1) Why I prefer owning my own business




There's everything to love about owning a business:

It is flexible


And that's what I love about being an entrepreneur. I set the time for most appointments and I can adjust accordingly. It's even more suitable to be an entrepreneur for me now that I am a mom because babies don't really have a fixed program on when they want to eat, cry or change diapers. I have to adapt to my baby's time so working on your own terms is very rewarding as a mom. This flexibility I can't have from a nine-to-five job.

It's fulfilling


Yeah, it's a dream come true for me to own a business so I feel so fulfilled doing it. Like I often say the feeling and satisfaction I get doing what I love can't be bought with any amount of money. I enjoy the things I do for my businesses (blogging, designing, making, thrifting and selling fashion items).

It's promising


The income isn't enough at the moment but it is promising. From what others in the domain have achieved I believe I can do better. The income can grow to really large sums with time whereas when you are an employee how much you make is decided by someone else.

2) Why do I also consider working for someone else





The income is secured


Yes, I'm sure of getting paid at the end of the month. That certainty alone is enough to give me a good night's sleep opposed to being an entrepreneur where I have to continuously worry about making money. Sometimes, I just need that peace of mind. It's not easy to worry about where your income will come from because almost all of life's problems are linked to money. So that security you get when you are employed or work for someone makes me want to go find a job.

There's less to stress about as an employee


As mentioned above, whether the organization is making a profit or not, you get paid at the end of the month (or get laid off, lol). It is the duty of your employer to pay you as long as you are employed and do your own side of the contract. But when you work for yourself you have to worry about paying others who work for you and also paying yourself amongst other things like satisfying customers, making the right product and offering the best service you possibly can. I sometimes just want to avoid this stress. 

And the stress is on you 24/7. As long as you own a business you are thinking about it all the time especially when you are just starting and doing it all alone. You are all your business has got. The only employee who does everything. So you may be working 24/7. And doing business in a country like mine (Cameroon) is not easy. 

My business is mostly online as I blog and I sell most of my products online using Facebook and Instagram. It's very challenging and as I write this I just got the idea to do another blog post for you guys on the challenges an online business owner based in Cameroon faces. It may apply to other African countries but I don't want to generalise as we (African countries don't have the same problems or at least not to the same degree). 

Those are my thoughts about being an entrepreneur and being an employee. Honestly, I'm still confused about whether to take a job or not. I do want a job, oh, but the things that I want to come along with it are lol... let's just laugh because if I mention them I may look too picky when it comes to that. I do check online to find something that will suit me right now. I think it's good to have something to do while you work on your dreams. Especially when your dreams may take a long time to pay the bills. So I'm working on that. 

Well, guys, that's it for this post. Hope you enjoyed this chat. Please leave your thoughts in the comment section if you want to continue the conversation. I'm taking a sigh of relief right now as I sign out because my daughter slept without through as I wrote this post. Even if she wakes up now my mind is at peace, lol.

CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Post a Comment