Hi my Radiants,
Hope you are doing well.
After spending some days away with family, we eventually came back home, and one of the first things I wanted to check was my plants.
Before I left, I had moved most of them from the front of the house to the back where they would be more exposed to rain. I had initially tried to figure out how to keep them watered while I was away, but that wasn't really working out the way I had hoped.
Since I wasn't sure how long I would be away, I thought it was better to leave them somewhere they could at least get some water if it rained.
So when I came back, I was curious to see how they were doing.
Thankfully, they were doing quite well.
![]() |
| My plants when I returned |
![]() |
| My plants before I left |
The ground was looking a little dry, so it seemed like there hadn't been much rain while I was away, but the plants themselves were still looking fresh.
My little container garden had actually continued growing without me.
The tomato plant that I didn't even intentionally plant had become much bigger. The pepper had grown too, and I'm still wondering whether it is actually a hot pepper or a green pepper.
The way the leaves and flowers are looking makes me think it might be a green pepper, but we'll see.
Even the little cocoyams I had thrown into the container had started producing leaves.
I was so happy to see all of that.
After checking the plants, I had to deal with some of the food I had brought back with me.
I had harvested quite a lot of sweet bitter leaf from my grandmother's garden, so I needed to prepare it before putting it away.
I washed the leaves properly, sliced them, washed them again and packed them into smaller portions before putting them in the freezer.
That was one thing I was particularly happy to have brought back because I had harvested quite a lot.
![]() |
| Ready to to be frozen |
The herbs I had mentioned in my previous post also arrived safely.
They were looking a little withered, which was expected after travelling, but they were fine.
I had also brought back some sticks and seedlings that I wanted to try planting.
I've tried planting some of these before, and they didn't work, but I thought, let me try again.
There were also some flowers that I brought back with me.
I didn't plant everything immediately because, honestly, there was quite a lot to do when I returned.
Between sorting the bitter leaf, dealing with everything else I had brought back, and trying to get back into my normal routine, I was tired.
So I eventually got around to planting everything a few days later.
And that's when I realised I had a small problem.
I didn't have enough soil.
![]() |
| Plants looking tired from the journey and maybe because I didn't plant them immediately |
The soil I was counting on using was in the bucket where I had planted my yam.
The yam had been looking like it was dying before I travelled, so I had already started thinking that I could eventually use the soil in that bucket for some of the new plants.
But when I came back, the yam had decided to surprise me.
It had started producing leaves again.
Of course.
Just when I had plans for its soil, it decided that it wasn't finished yet. 😂
I was looking at it like, So now what am I supposed to do with you?
![]() |
| See the soil I was managing. I need more soil |
I eventually decided to remove the soil bit by bit and use it to plant some of the new plants.
I had brought back several pieces of the same plants, so I first put them together and tried to figure out which ones could share a container and which ones needed their own space.
Then I started planting.
Some of them were simply experiments. I don't know whether they will grow, but I wanted to try.
![]() |
| Sorted the plants by type |
![]() |
| I really want this flower to grow. |
![]() |
| This one too. |
By the time I was done, the poor yam had almost no soil left.
And eventually, it dried up completely this week.
So I guess that's the end of my yam experiment for now.
At least I tried.
![]() |
| I wish I had more soil, I would have given this yam another chance. |
![]() |
| It was already evening when I was done planting. I tried o |
![]() |
| It looks good now, but figuring out how to plant it was such a task |
After all the plant business, I also had some food to deal with.
I came back with some potatoes, and I eventually used some of them to make pomme pilé.
If you're not familiar with it, ponpilé is a Cameroonian dish made with Irish potatoes and beans, which are pounded together.
The kids really enjoyed it.
They ate it so well that I was happy I had made it.
I also really like the way I make mine, so if you'd like to try it, I have shared my recipe for the best pomme pilé here:
![]() |
| Yum |
So that was life after coming back home. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you in my next one.
💛 Before You Go...
If you enjoyed spending a little time here, I'd love to have you around.
💌 Join My Radiants on WhatsApp for new blog posts, vlog updates, behind-the-scenes moments, little discoveries, and the everyday thoughts that don't always make it onto the blog. Think of it as a little extension of the blog.



















0 Comments:
Post a Comment