F There's a Path For Every Girl: Find Yours - My Local Adventures Blog

There's a Path For Every Girl: Find Yours

I watched a video of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie the other day and I was amazed by how much truth she said in her talk (Google her name to know more about her).


I had heard about her but it was my first time listening to her speak. Now, before I listened to her talk,  I was thinking of all the negative things I had heard about feminists. But I really enjoyed the talk and there were a few things from it that I really want to highlight here.

She said something very familiar.

"Girls are asked to be ambitious but not too ambitious" 

This stroke me because even if someone hasn't heard this statement before, he/she has seen, felt or experienced it one way or the other.

There are many demands that society makes of girls that subject them consciously or unconsciously to make fewer choices in life. Girls are not enjoying the freedom to make the choices that reflect the path they want to take in life or the things they want to do. 


Like I always say, fulfilment is a feeling that no amount of money can buy. To feel fulfiled, you need to do what you love doing. Even if you want to please others and do what they want, you have to do something for yourself because you are the only one responsible for your fulfilment. Don't decide to live an unfulfilled life. Not doing anything about your dream is deciding to live without fulfilment. It's deciding to live a miserable life full of regrets. 

Don't be afraid to be ambitious because society will see you as unfit for marriage or motherhood. Society has its opinion, but you have your life to live. 


Ambition is meant for everyone. Ambition is seen as a monster when a woman has it. It shouldn't be so. It's just a drive to do the things you want to do. And some dreams do need a lot of drive for it to be realized, trust me. 

So what is your path young lady? What do you want to be? Say it out loud. Go out there and do it. 


CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Post a Comment