F Running An Online Okirika Clothes (Thrift) Shop In Cameroon (Africa) | Challenges So Far - My Local Adventures Blog

Running An Online Okirika Clothes (Thrift) Shop In Cameroon (Africa) | Challenges So Far

I've been running my Okirika clothes business for a while now and I just want to update you guys on how it's going and the challenges I'm facing right now.


Click here to watch my video on this topic 


Running An Online Okirika Clothes (Thrift) Shop In Cameroon (Africa) | Challenges So Far

 
Running An Online Okirika Clothes (Thrift) Shop In Cameroon (Africa) | Challenges So Far

The running of the shop


So this shop sells Okirika clothes for kids and adults. 

I used to run the kids and adults part as two separate businesses but lately, I decided to merge them because I created a new business called Ngumabi's Closet which sells brand new readymade clothes.


My tasks involve going to the market to select the clothes from heaps of Okirika. Then I wash them after buying them. Then I take pictures to put online for sales. 


I often post on the business page of Ngumabi's Thrift Shop on Facebook and Instagram to find customers.


I also share in Facebook groups which are meant for sales in Cameroon. And that is where I have been getting customers so far.


Challenges


Selecting the clothes for sale


Though I enjoy it because it's my passion, the selection is a long and tiring. 


Washing the clothes


This is challenging because washing them is a risk. For white clothes most especially. 


When the sun doesn't shine much it will affect the clothes and they can get stained in the course of washing. 


So it is risky and challenging to wash the clothes but I wash them because I want to give a better shopping experience to my customers. It feels different when shopping for washed Okirika clothes.


Reaching customers on the business pages


Finding customers on the business pages is difficult. The page is not followed by my people and my posts don't reach a lot of people. 


I have not yet made sales from my business pages but have had one or two people ask for the prices. 


Taking the right pictures


For the clothes to attract customers the pictures have to be good. It's often a challenge to take the best photos of the clothes because of the lighting most especially. I use my phone for the pictures and I rely on natural light to make the pictures bright. 


Some days are dark and sometimes it's hard to put the phone camera in the right setting to take the best pictures.


Pricing the clothes


This is a challenge because customers do compare my prices with that of the prices in the market and this makes it complicated to sell or even to know how to price the clothes at times.


Not having a shop or a meeting in public places to sell.


Of course, meeting in a public place is the best and safest way to meet clients but it's challenging when we can't find a spot to sit so that they take their time to make their choice. I often take my clients to a mini cafeteria where I make a purchase there just to sit with my client and sell but on days when it isn't open it becomes challenging to stand up and do sales.


All the same, I am working hard to get a boutique someday soon to make the shopping experience better for my customers.


That's how I manage my online okirika or friperie or thrift business in Cameroon.


Watch my video on this topic by clicking here


CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Post a Comment