F Once Upon A Time, I Had Nappy Hair | My Transition To Relaxed Hair - My Local Adventures Blog

Once Upon A Time, I Had Nappy Hair | My Transition To Relaxed Hair

I made a series of posts about relaxing my hair and the products I used as well as my feelings of betraying my community for not keeping nappy hair. I hope you guys read those posts but if you didn't then click the following links to read them too.


Relaxing my one-year-old nappy hair

Products I used to relax my hair

Disconnected from my community because my hair is relaxed


Watch the video I made about this by clicking here. 


Once Upon A Time, I Had Nappy Hair | My Transition To Relaxed Hair


I cut my hair very low in December 2019 at the barber's shop and it was almost bald. My reason for doing that was I wasn't taking care of the hair I had. I could blame it on motherhood but other reasons like not being satisfied with the quality of my hair were another major problem. 


I didn't know if I wanted to keep nappy hair right away. As time went on, and my hair started growing, I coloured my hair. It was still very short though and as my hair grew it was cool to have golden brown tips.


So I decided to keep nappy hair. I knew it will not be easy but I wanted to try again. I have had nappy hair for a year in the past so it wasn't new.


Some months into my nappy journey, I started finding it difficult to manage my hair dandruff and I did a few hairstyles that cut my edges. 


That was around the period when Greenlifebate reached out to me and gifted me hair products from her brand to try. I must say they came in time because they actually made me change my mind about wanting to relax my hair. Her products made my hair soft and easy to comb and also spared me all dandruff.


Reviewing hair products from Greenlifebate


So fast-forward to December 2020 when I had thriving nappy hair but I just wanted to do more with my hair. The hairstyles I felt like doing sometimes required that I relax my hair and moreover managing nappy hair took more time and energy. I made the decision to relax my hair.


Once Upon A Time, I Had Nappy Hair | My Transition To Relaxed Hair


And so I did. It felt amazing and I was happy. I only felt the guilt of no longer belonging to the nappy family anymore but personally, it made me happy.


That's how I transitioned to relaxed hair and I have no regrets. Nappy hair just like relaxed hair has its pros and cons and so far I am cool with my relaxed hair.


I know that nappy hair represents our identity and self-acceptance. And it feels somehow like a detachment when you are no longer nappy. But as long as the reasons behind relaxing your hair have got nothing to do with you not liking who you are then it's fine.


There's my story. I hope you like this post.


I made a video on this topic where I shed more light on it. Click here to watch.


CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Post a Comment