F Weekend Vibes | Shocking But True! - My Local Adventures Blog

Weekend Vibes | Shocking But True!

While people are watching Big Brother Naija, I'm doing my usual surfing the internet and living life. It's hard to ignore Big Brother as from what I see on social media, the drama has started. I'm looking forward to that when I start watching it. Apart from Big Brother updates, I came across this blog post on career tips on the blog A Cup Of Jo which I highly recommend you read.

Weekend Vibes


Overall, this weekend is going good so far. Today is Saturday and it's been tiring for me because I had to go to the market and do some cooking. It took me longer than I expected and besides, markets on Saturday are usually very full. This Saturday is a 'month-end' Saturday so salaries are out. Social distancing is forgotten at this point as everyone is trying to shop as fast as they can. There were long queues in cold stores where women were buying fish and also around 'Okrika' sellers who just opened new bails of clothes.

Apart from these things that caught my attention, I was shocked by a new discovery while I bought njama-njama (huckleberry).

Shocking but true!


I got to a vegetable seller whose njama-njama (huckleberry) seemed good. When I took a closer look, I noticed some blue stains on the leaves. This stain comes from insecticides, pesticides and other chemicals that are often sprayed on plants especially vegetables like green pepper and tomatoes. It was my first time seeing it on njama-njama and I was shocked!

I wondered if that chemical will ever get off those leaves completely when washed. It made me scared and I decided not to buy them. This discovery made me look at all the vegetables I saw with a lot of suspicions. I know that chemicals are used on crops but I couldn't imagine that they spray njama-njama which we eat the leaves directly.  I finally got to another vegetable seller whom I asked if her vegetables were treated with chemicals and she told me the ones with chemicals had all been bought already. She gave a few factors to help me distinguish the chemically treated njama-njama from the organic one which I will share with you in another post.

Update: Here is How To Identify Organic Vegetables

I bought from her feeling relieved but hoping that she was saying the truth about her vegetables being organic. When I cooked the vegetable I was satisfied as I confirmed that they were truly organic. I'm eager to share with you how to recognize organic vegetables in my next post.

Weekend Vibes | Shocking But True!

I made a good meal with the help of my little assistant, lol.


Our meal. Plantain, country-style njama-njama and canda stew featuring some smoked fish. Delicious!

My plans for the rest of the weekend (Sunday) are to plant some new vegetable stems, onion and leeks. Today (Saturday) is my spa day but I was too tired to take care of myself as usual so I'll do that tomorrow.

Njama-njama seeds. I hope they will grow

njama njama, huckleberry stems, stick, plant, planting
Njama-njama stems I kept to plant later

onions, growing, yaounde, douala, blogger
Onions to be planted

Me, after cooking. So tired and worn out.

Feeling good after a refreshing bath.


CONVERSATION

2 Comments:

  1. 🙂 Insects would prefer to bite organ produce than go for one that was sprinkled with insecticides (So, I have a strong feeling that the person who sold you those was telling the truth).

    Do enjoy the rest of your weekend, Ngumabi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Renard as I found some tiny snails on the leaves while preparing to cook them. She was really telling the truth.

      Thanks and have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete