F What I Learned As An Entrepreneur Buying From Cameroonian Brands Online - My Local Adventures Blog

What I Learned As An Entrepreneur Buying From Cameroonian Brands Online

This holiday season, I did some online shopping from two Cameroonian entrepreneurs. One bakes cakes and the other is a cosmetic brand. I just wanted a big delicious yoghurt cake to satisfy my craving and also I needed beauty products for my body.


How I chose these brands to buy from was simple. I knew them already (the CEOs) and trust was already established though it was my first time actually buying their products. They are small growing brands. 

As an entrepreneur myself, it felt good to support and patronise people I know. I didn't buy from them in order to judge their service. It was because I needed their products. To my surprise, I learned a lot from the experience.


Here are the things I learned from my online shopping with these brands.


Buying From Online Cameroonian Brands | What I Learnt As An Entrepreneur


What I Learned As An Entrepreneur Buying From Cameroonian Brands Online

It's essential to deliver on time

Delivering on time shows that you value your customer's time. I ordered for the cake days before but on the day of delivery, the vendor called me to say she will be running late. It was a good thing she called me to let me know she won't be able to deliver on time and I appreciated that. 


But I wondered within me if she also considered the fact that the cake could have been for a party or an occasion and the time I gave her needed to be respected.


Let your customer know if you can't deliver on time


As mentioned above, I appreciate the cake service for letting me know she'll be late in her delivery. It made me feel considered and respected. On the other hand, the cosmetic brand didn't deliver during the period we agreed on and I was the one who contacted them to ask why my products had not been delivered. 


It's crucial to deliver exactly what was ordered


This is the most important lesson of all. Deliver what the customer asked for. It is bad enough to deliver late but don't allow yourself to deliver a product that is not up to what the client ordered. 

This was my case with the cake delivery. Added to the fact that she changed the time of the delivery, she delivered a cake that didn't rise during baking. 

Oh yes, she did. She really did. During the delivery, she told me that the baking powder she used wasn't good and she needs to change the baking powder but the cake is ok. I thought it was just a small problem. After collecting the cake and I got home and opened it I was shocked and angry too. 


I remembered how I had made it clear to her that I wanted a big cake and she promised me I'll be satisfied. Despite that, she had the courage to deliver a cake that didn't rise properly. I wondered if she even considered the fact that it could be a gift for someone. How do I give such a cake to someone? Honestly, she made my money seem so useless. She delivered the cake still hot meaning that she probably didn't start baking it early enough so she probably took it out before it could completely rise. That's my theory since her story of the baking powder being the problem didn't sound true to me. 

Honestly, if I were in her place I would ask if I can deliver a proper cake on another day or simply refund the customer. Not delivering that right product discourages the customer from buying from you.


Ask for feedback from customers and do it on time


Getting feedback from your customers is very important. Not asking them if they received the product, how they find the product or if they like your product may make them feel like you don't care. Depending on the product you should ask for feedback at the time the client might have consumed the product or when he/she might have started seeing results.


The cake lady asked me a few days later how the cake was. I wondered why she took so long to ask knowing very well that there was a problem with the cake. Anyway, I made her understand that I wasn't satisfied and how disappointed I was. She said she'll catch up next time but I feel so discouraged that I doubt if there will be a next time.


Make sure all products are delivered to the customer


When clients orders multiple products, verify that you send them all. 


I received all the beauty products except for one and to be honest, I needed it so badly. if the client is located in another town just like in my case it becomes difficult or expensive to send the remaining product. 


Keep the client engaged during the purchase


Inform the client of your plans and actions related to his or her order. If delivery is taking a few days update them and keep them in the know of what's going on. Keeping the client engaged helps them develop a good relationship with you.


I wish to patronise more Cameroonian brands online in the future because I know what it means to be encouraged in that manner. I am an online entrepreneur too. 


CONVERSATION

0 Comments:

Post a Comment